Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Mommy Confessions...




                As a mom, I often have trouble defining my own identity.

Who am I?

A wife, a mother, a teacher, chauffeur, chef, counselor, friend, role model, nurse (although NOT a very good one.) But, do these things REALLY define who I am.

I came across this list above and at first I laughed, then gasped at the fact that I believe I have literally done ALL of them…WHAT… that is insane, I mean, really insane. I seriously began to question my authority as a parent for my dear children.

As the overwhelming guilt and somewhat disgust came over me, I began to realize, YES, I did do these things.

My child has peed in a parking lot while I quickly tried to hide his naked rear end, I have licked a pacifier clean after it has fallen, Lord knows where, just to stop a crying baby, I have, shamefully, given the underwear sniff test and  prayed to God my child at least HAD socks on, clean or not.

 I HAVE done it all, and yet never once did I stop and think about it. Never once did I hesitate to do any of these things because they are MY children given by my creator for me to love, cherish and develop even through the chaos of life.

So many times in my life I have doubted my ability to be the mother they need; honestly to be the mother they want. I have so often wished I could be the pulled together mother of perfection who has it ALL together ALL the time, but then, reality sets in.

I often run late, or snap when I should not, point out failures instead of giving grace. I look in the mirror too often and see my own imperfections in my OWN children. OUCH!

I am not perfect, however HE is. My creator is perfect beyond measure and has not only created me, but He has equipped me to be the mother they need, perfect or not. I am NOT the fairy tale mother I often invasion in my head.

So, what am I? Who am I?

Have you ever questioned if God made a mistake? What was He thinking! I can’t possibly be what these children need, I CAN’T possibly grow children for His kingdom when I fail too much to count!

For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.” Ephesians 2:10

Have you ever watched a young child “create” a masterpiece of art for you? They are excited, giddy and glowing with delight. They beam with joy as you rave about their accomplishment.

The definition of masterpiece is a person’s greatest work of art; mastery.

Wow, if you REALLY sit back and soak that in, imagine God beaming because we are His work of art, His masterpiece made for His purpose.
And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose for them.” Romans 8:28

Who am I? I am His! Imperfect, yet perfectly created in His imagine for His purpose.

Who am I? I am theirs! Chosen for them. Four beautifully crafted creations, designed for His purpose, for me to guide through Him.

My identity is found in Christ who is found in me. My identity is found in the mother I crave to be. My identity is found in the wife I long to be. My identity is that through Christ, my family will not see me, but see Him!




Follow my blog with Bloglovin
post signature

2 comments:

  1. I'm so thankful for my identity in Christ... it wouldn't be pretty otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I must confess to doing the things on that list! Well written post. God Bless You

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...