Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Funeral


"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7
My heart was pounding as we pulled into the parking lot of the funeral home. I remember looking around thinking that this place would forever be part of my life and my memories. I walked inside the entry way and looked at the doors leading into my daughters funeral. What I'm sure was only a few seconds seemed like an eternity as they started to open the doors. I took about three steps and then there it was. I did not see the canvas picture or beautiful flowers surrounding her, I simply saw the smallest little urn sitting on this small round table and my heart sunk and my knees buckled, I was not sure I could keep going. Seeing the urn as I walked to the front of the church was a reminder that Bethany was gone and all that was left were her tiny remains in this tiny little vase, "how do I keep moving?" Somehow I made it to the front of the church and sat down as I sobbed on my husband's shoulder. Why was this hard? I could never have prepared myself for something like this and yet here I was with a front seat view to my own daughters funeral, it just doesn't seem right. I listened as our pastor spoke so perfectly of her name, Bethany Hope, and then as a friend began to sing the words to my favorite song. I had not ask her to sing this song, but I know that God laid it on her heart to sing, "You are my all in all". I remember thanking God at that moment for caring me through this and being my all when I had nothing left of myself. We left the funereal and I came home and crawled into bed. I had somehow spaced out the people and voices circulating throughout my home and slipped away into the covers. I think part of me just wanted that day to be over. I drifted off to sleep as I sang the following words through the tears hitting my pillow:
 
Words to ALL AND ALL
You are my strength when I am weak
You are the treasure that I seek
You are my all in all
Seeking You as a precious jewel
Lord to give up, I'd be a fool
You are my all in all
Jesus, Lamb of God, worthy is Your name
Jesus, Lamb of God, worthy is Your name
Taking my sin, my cross, my shame
Rising again, I bless Your name
You are my all in all
When I fall down, You pick me up
When I am dry, You fill my cup
You are my all in all


post signature

2 comments:

  1. Amy,

    God has given you an amazing gift! Knowing how you have continued to praise Him, even during those dark days, He will continue to bless you and you family. I pray that your gift will be used to touch the hearts and lives of families who experience the pain of losing a child. God is using you and sweet Bethany.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for your great loss. :( I just came upon your blog from Women Living Well. I have a daughter in Heaven, too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...